change divorce agreement

Can I Change My Divorce Agreement?

Although there has to be a reason to change a divorce settlement or agreement, you can request what is officially referred to as a divorce modification. This should be done through a divorce attorney who understands the intricacies of divorce settlements. Although you can request a divorce modification to nearly any part of your agreement, the four most common requests cover:

  • Child Support
  • Parenting Plans
  • Alimony
  • Residency

In rare cases you may also have a valid request if you believe the court or your original attorney made a mistake in the settlement. Requesting a divorce modification is different than appealing your original judgement.

Why Can I (or My Former Spouse) Request a Change?

When life circumstances change, you may need to make a change to a settlement agreement. For example, if one of your children has a disease or disability that requires a stay-at-home parent and one of you must quit working, you may need to change your child support terms. Conversely if a parent loses a job unexpectedly and their new employment doesn’t pay as much, a reduction in support may be called for.

Submitting for an End to Alimony

This is one of the most common reasons for a divorce modification request. If you had agreed to support your spouse for a certain number of years and they re-marry or obtain a great job where alimony is no longer needed, you can request such a modification.

How Do I Request a Change?

Depending on the type of change you need, the first step may be to contact the local authorities. If you believe that your child is in danger with their other parent due to drugs, alcohol or abuse, get them safe. However, in most cases, your first step should be to contact a qualified family law attorney familiar with divorce modification. They will advise you if you have a case or what supporting documentation you should gather.

How Long Does Divorce Modification Take?

That depends. If you’re looking for changes to financial support, you’ll need to gather and submit your reason for change and then the other party will have to submit their required information. After that your attorneys will work to come up with a settlement based on current Florida law. Assuming both parties agree, the information can be submitted to the court for modification. Other changes for request can go through mediation which may take time or simply through the courts which may require a new trial date.

You’ll have much more favorable results and the process will proceed more quickly if you work with a family law attorney like Wagstaff Law Office. We’re experienced in all parts of divorce and separation including divorce modification. Call us today at 727-584-8182 for your free initial consultation.