Divorce with Children: Tips for a Smooth Transition
Divorce is never easy, but it can be especially difficult when children are involved. When families are separating, parents take extra caution to ensure that their kids are adjusting well to the news and the accompanying lifestyle changes. At Wagstaff, we understand how difficult this can be for parents who are also doing their best to adjust to new circumstances. As divorce lawyers, our goal is to guide you through the divorce process to minimize the stress on you and your family.
Why Hire A Divorce Lawyer?
There are many complex issues that need to be addressed during the divorce process. From property distribution to alimony, it’s wise to have an experienced professional in your corner to help you through each stage of the process and represent your best interest, as well as those of your child/children. Your legal representative will also assist in reviewing court documents carefully to avoid errors that could prolong the process or cause complications down the road. A legal professional will also be able to advise regarding state custody laws and assist in outlining an appropriate parenting plan.
Helping Children Cope
Parents going through a divorce can take several steps to lessen the impact on the children and help them adjust more easily.
- Aim to resolve custody issues as quickly and smoothly as possible.
- Remain neutral regarding your ex-spouse when speaking to your children.
- Avoid arguing in front of the children.
- Encourage the children to come to you with questions and concerns.
- Visit family members and friends nearby to let the child know that the people they love are still close.
- Strive to keep the divorce proceedings amicable.
- Maintain daily routines and disciplinary style as much as possible.
Adjusting to a new lifestyle after a divorce will not be easy for you or your children. As professionals with more than 50 years of combined experience, we’re here to help you navigate the process. Contact us to set up a consultation and learn how we can eliminate some of your stress, allowing you to focus on your children.